Theft Crime Lawyer in Buckhead
Do You Need a Fulton County Defense Attorney?
While theft may seem like a relatively straightforward charge, there is a long list of distinct types with differing consequences under Georgia state law. In order to navigate this complex area of law, it is of paramount importance that you secure sound legal counsel from a Buckhead theft crime attorney who can defend your name. As a managing partner at MSJ Law Group, he and the team can help you understand the proceedings, protect your rights, and minimize the possible penalties.
We represent clients in DeKalb County and Atlanta. Let Robert James Trial Attorney provide that assistance! Get in touch with our firm today when you call us at (404) 620-6110.
Laws Concerning Theft
Georgia law defines and prosecutes many types of theft, some of which are:
- Theft by taking: Unlawfully taking possession of another’s property
- Theft of services: Receiving a service with no intention of paying for it
- Theft by deception: Lying to get someone to give you something they otherwise would not give
- Theft of lost or mislaid property: Keeping property that you find without seeking to return it to its owner
- Theft by conversion: Taking money from someone to accomplish an agreed upon goal and then using it otherwise
- Theft by shoplifting: Failing to pay for an item taken from a store
- Theft by extortion: Using force or threats to get someone to give you their property
If the theft concerns less than $500 worth of property, it is considered a misdemeanor and punished with a fine of no more than $1,000 and sentence of 12 months or less in jail.
However, if the theft involves more than $500 worth of property, it is charged as a felony. In that case, the fine would be significantly more costly and the jail sentence could be anywhere from 1 to 10 years.
If you are feeling overwhelmed, call Robert James Trial Attorney at (404) 620-6110. You need a tough Buckhead theft crime lawyer on your side.