Georgia is one of the most ideal states to enjoy a scenic motorcycle ride—but riding still comes with risks. Motorcycle accidents are especially devastating because riders do not have the same protection that someone inside a vehicle would.
When you are injured in a motorcycle collision, you are left wondering what happens next. The cost of treating your injuries can be substantial. Meanwhile, you might be unable to work due to the accident. If the driver who hit you was acting negligently, they can and should be held responsible. A Doraville motorcycle accident lawyer could help you pursue compensation for your injuries and other losses related to the collision. Contact our office of dedicated personal injury attorneys to learn more about your legal rights and remedies.
Negligence in Motorcycle Accidents
Most collisions are preventable when riders and other motorists take necessary precautions. Sadly, driver negligence is a leading cause of motorcycle crashes. Common examples include:
- Road hazards
- Failure to yield
- Distracted driving
- Inclement weather or poor visibility
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
In addition to driver negligence, motorcycle accidents frequently happen due to defective parts. In these instances, the injured person could sue the manufacturing company for their harm. Manufacturers are liable if they negligently designed, manufactured, or advertised their motorcycle parts.
People injured in motorcycle accidents often suffer catastrophic and life-threatening injuries. While no amount of money can reverse such a traumatic event, it can give the injured person the means to move forward from the crash. Alternatively, when someone dies during a motorcycle accident, their loved ones can seek compensation on their behalf through a wrongful death claim overseen by a Doraville motorcycle accident attorney.
Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Crash
While no one expects to be injured when they go out for a ride, it is always a good idea to stay prepared. In the event of a crash, bikers can take the following steps to protect themselves and preserve a claim:
- Contact the police: If possible, immediately contact the police after a motorcycle accident. The responding officer will make a record of the crash and include crucial information in their report. The police report is important evidence when it comes to filing a claim and pursuing compensation.
- Seek medical care: If anyone is injured, be sure to get medical care. Even if there are no apparent injuries, symptoms can develop over time. Medical records will also prove injuries and losses are related to the crash.
- Exchange information with the other driver: Be sure to obtain contact info from the driver who caused the accident. The police will also make a record of this.
- Speak to bystanders: Eyewitnesses often provide crucial testimony in motorcycle accident cases. If possible, get their contact information.
- Document evidence: Although it is not always practical or possible, try to take photographs and videos of the accident scene and injuries.
- Contact a lawyer: Reach out to a trusted motorcycle accident attorney in Doraville to discuss filing a claim.
The aftermath of a wreck can be overwhelming, but the compassionate team at Robert James Trial Attorneys is here for support. Our extensive trial experience has made us confident and courageous advocates for all of our clients, and we are never afraid to stand up for what is right in court.
Seek Justice With Help From a Doraville Motorcycle Accident Attorney
When you are injured in a motorcycle accident caused by another driver’s negligence, you could pursue a claim for compensation. Injured people typically seek reimbursement for their medical bills, lost income, and other expenses. When you hire a Doraville motorcycle accident lawyer, they could handle negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurance or represent you in a negligence lawsuit against the person who hit you.
Contact our office to discuss your right to compensation.