There is never a convenient time for a car accident. Even minor fender benders are a nuisance, taking up your time and energy to repair your vehicle and get examined for injuries. Major accidents are life-changing. They can cause significant damage to your vehicle, keeping it out of commission or even totaling it.
However, the real risk in car crashes is personal injury. Car accidents can cause everything from minor bumps and scrapes to severe injuries and even wrongful death. As long as you are less than 50 percent at fault for the accident, you may be able to recover compensation from the other driver for your injuries. A local personal injury attorney could be a great help.
When you are ready to take action and fight for the money you deserve, consulting with a Riverdale car accident lawyer after a wreck is essential.
What To Do at the Scene of a Car Accident
Unfortunately, a person’s behavior at the scene of a wreck could impact their ability to recover compensation. Many people apologize whenever something terrible happens—even if they did not cause it. This small comment can make someone look like they are admitting responsibility for the crash. Luckily, there are some steps people can take to protect themselves after an accident:
- Pull over. The worst thing a driver can do is leave the scene of an accident. A hit-and-run is a crime with severe consequences.
- Check for injuries. Drivers should start by checking themselves and the other occupants of their car, then check with people in other vehicles.
- Call the police. If there were passengers, they could contact the police while the driver consults with the other drivers. Even if there are no noticeable injuries, the police should still be called so they can generate an accident report.
- Exchange information. The drivers of all involved vehicles should exchange insurance information and driver’s license information. In addition, do not forget to collect contact information from any witnesses. Their testimony could play an important role in a personal injury case.
- Stick to the facts. When the police arrive, they may ask questions about the accident. It is okay to provide factual responses to those answers. However, one must stick to the facts rather than speculating.
- Take photos. The police may also take photographs to document the scene, but drivers should take their own photographs and video of the scene. This evidence may be necessary to help a Riverdale attorney prove liability in a car wreck.
The aftermath of an accident is overwhelming, but by keeping these important steps in mind, we could lay the foundation for a successful personal injury claim.
Get Prompt Medical Care
Many people tough it out after a car accident. They may turn down on-site care from first responders or an ambulance ride to the hospital. The thought of paying for emergency medical bills is overwhelming, and many people would rather risk severe injuries than pay for an ER visit. However, getting appropriate medical care after an accident is critical. Delaying care can exacerbate injuries and make healing more difficult.
At the very least, a person should visit their doctor after an auto accident. Some injuries—such as soft tissue injuries, aches, pains, and bruises—are not immediately apparent. Even severe injuries like traumatic brain injuries may take days to develop symptoms. Visiting a doctor for diagnostic imaging is the best way to identify hidden health issues.
In addition, visiting a doctor is also essential for establishing injuries and proving their connection to the crash. To recover in any personal injury lawsuit, a person must show that the event caused their injuries. Documenting the injuries as soon as possible helps eliminate the idea that a different event caused them instead. A Riverdale attorney who handles car accidents could use medical records to establish injuries and healthcare costs as well as non-economic damages like pain and suffering. Client comfort is our priority, and our responsive team is even available for in-house or hospital consultations.
Schedule a Consultation With a Riverdale Car Accident Attorney
Most auto accidents go through the insurance claim process. For many people. It might seem simpler to talk to the insurance companies alone. However, this is a huge mistake. Insurance companies are in business to make money, not to pay out money. They want to minimize payouts while meeting their legal obligations to clients and claimants.
When you speak with a compassionate Riverdale car accident lawyer from our firm, we could help you determine liability, calculate damages, and communicate with stubborn insurance adjusters. With extensive trial experience, we are not afraid to stand up to insurance companies and fight for what is rightfully yours. Schedule a consultation today to learn more.